Friday, November 26, 2010

Swift-Coles Historic Home

Last month while Mr. EA lounged on the beach I was out making a huge sacrifice to shop for Elizabeth Ann's.
I know that's just the kind of person I am. 
Well I noticed a sign I had never seen before:
 
SWIFT-COLES
HISTORIC HOME
------>
AWESOME!  I looove historic homes!  Darn it's getting late, oh but wait a minute we pass right by the turn off on our way home.  DONE! 

Mr. EA being the wonderful husband that he is said "sure we can go by there.  It will be fun to see a part of this area I haven't seen.  It will probably be just a shack we would drive by and be on our way".
  OH, NO SIR! 
He knew he was in trouble when this is what the drive up to the house looked like:



Then we see this:


Mr. EA:  Uhhh, that isn't a shack.
Me: Cool, there's a sign that says they give tours.

Bon Secour's Tidewater Mansion

Home Open
Tuesdays and Fridays
10:00 - 4:00
Last Tour Begins at 3:00
Admission: $5.00

Mr. EA: Greaaat!
Me: It's Friday! and before 3:00.



So, off we went:

Do you know why people paint the ceilings of their porches blue?  To keep the wasp and birds from building their nest up there.  Is that just a southern thing?



We weren't allowed to take photos inside so all my pics will be of the outside.

 

This is looking from one upper porch to the another upper porch.  Oh, wait should I say from one veranda to the other veranda?

Here's a beautiful view, whether from the porch or the veranda, beauty is beauty.



I love the huge old live oaks dripping with spanish moss and ferns growing on the limbs and trunks.







The Swift-Cole House is located in a place called Bon Secour, Alabama.  Bon Secour is French for "Safe Harbor".  I grew up hearing about Bon Secour I've even been fishing there, but I had never heard of this historic home.  Probably because it was the private residence of Nik Coles until the past several years.

If you want more info and to see some pictures of the inside go HERE.  This is very nice post on the Alabama Bloggers site written by Leigh Bratina of Tales from Bloggeritaville.

I really enjoyed the tour and our guides were very good.  What about Mr. EA?  Well he held in there and even pretended to be interested.  He said his interest was piqued when he heard the ghost story. ;-)  Thank you honey for all you endure.  He loves me!

If you find yourself in Gulf Shores or Fairhope, Alabama, try the tour.  The drive alone is worth it, you will see some of the prettiest land in LA (Lower Alabama).

Joyfully,
Elizabeth Ann



 

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Elizabeth Ann...thanks so much for dropping by my blog for a visit. I have been so busy lately and am just now getting around to checking out other blogs so I will need to catch up on yours:) Love this house...and your hubby for hanging in there with you. My husband is like that, too. He's so willing to go places with me...and I return the favor! Hope you and your family had a lovely Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth Ann,

    Thank you for the comment on my blog. I was just thrilled to death to finally put a person with the face/blogger. I have shopped in your booth forever. LOved your sense of style, the way you put things together to perfect and artistically...and then You commented on MY blog, I was over the moon. I am so glad that we got to chat today. Thank you for my goodies. you are so genuine and sweet! I just adore you that much more! Thank you! I do hope that we can indeed meet up for lunch and thrifting!

    TY also for the link love!

    ((Hugs))
    Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went back today I bought something I spied in your booth that I couldnt live without...
    http://lbratina.blogspot.com/2010/12/thrifty-thursday-92-plus-tablescape.html

    ReplyDelete